Everything You Need to Know About Scrapped Car Rules and Paperwork

Scrapping a car often provides more money than the owner expected, so it’s becoming increasingly popular all across the country. Of course, it’s going to be the first time for most people, and that means needing to check and recheck that all the relevant paperwork is in order.

The car scrapping process is relatively simple. First, the owner may need to find a reputable car scrapping company (like a firm for Car Salvage NI) and arrange for the vehicle to be collected. As part of the scrapping process, the company may provide the owner with all the necessary documentation, such as a Certificate of Destruction, in order to demonstrate the car has been destroyed. Following the completion of the paperwork, the owner will be paid the scrap value of the vehicle.

Before beginning the car scrapping process, it’s imperative to check the local car scrapping rules and regulations in order to ensure that all paperwork is in order.

Since that can be more than a bit of a hassle, we thought we’d put together a quick overview of the most important things you need to do.

  • Make sure you check that the car will be scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF).
  • If you’re in England or Wales, make sure you never agree to a cash payment. If you do, you’ll be in violation of the Scrap Metal Dealers’ Act.
  • Find all your personal documents. If you’re in England or Wales, you will be required to show your photo ID and proof of address to a representative of the AFT you choose to work with. Just make sure it’s a reputable firm before you share that information.
  • If there are any months remaining on your car tax, remember to use a V14 form to reclaim. You can also get in contact with your car insurance provider to ask for a refund or explore the opportunity to credit an insurance policy for a separate vehicle.
  • Find your vehicle log book. This is also known as the V5C form. You’ll need to provide this to your chosen ATF. Just remember to hang on to the yellow slip (V5C/3) from within it.
  • If you want to take the registration number off the end-of-life vehicle to use with another vehicle, remember to apply to the DVLA.
  • Make sure your chosen ATF provides a Certificate of Destruction (CoD). This should be delivered to you within seven working days. If it doesn’t arrive, pick up the phone and get in contact to chase them up.